Canberra B2 WK126 843
Built by A.V.Roe at Woodford
WK126 was ready for collection on 1 June 1954. Taken onto RAF charge it was first issued to 9 Sqn at RAF Binbrook. WK126 was next transferred to the ownership of 100 Sqn (RAF Wittering) where it served until 1959 when 100 were converted to the Canberra B6.
Wk126 was only again recorded in 1968, the intervening 9 years seem to have gone unrecorded
On 21 May 1968 WK126 was transferred to BAC (Warton) for conversion to TT18 Target Towing configuration. It was delivered to 27 Maintenence Unit on 13 November 1969 and into the charge of the Royal Navy.
Pictured above is WK126 at Yeovilton on 31 July 1982. Published with kind permission on Mick Bajgar.
Then, on 19 June 1970, WK126 was moved to Flight Refueling Ltd to take part in missile trials and Research and Development flying.
In the November of 1970 it transferred again to Airwork Services Ltd (Hurn) and they operated this TT18 in target towing duties for the Navy's Fleet Requirements Unit (FRU)
Eventually it was transferred to the charge of the Fleet Requirements and Air Direction Unit (FRADU) at RNAS Yeovilton. No detail on how long it stayed with FRADU but it is next noted as going into store at RAF St Athan in 1989. FRADU brought it out of storage briefly in January 1990 and it flew again until it was put back in store at RAF St Athan in October 1990.
After storage at RAF St. Athan, WK126 was auctioned off in 1993 and arrived at the Jet Age Museum June 1995. It is currently on loan to the museum from Chris Schaardenberg.
It will be displayed outside Jet Age Museum’s new permanent home at Gloucestershire Airport.