Our Rolls-Royce Avon was one of two which powered our Canberra WK126. It is an example of their first axial flow jet engine designed and produced by rolls-Royce. Introduced in 1950, it went on to become one of their most successful post-World War II engine designs, with production only ending in 1974.
The first engines provided 6,500 lbf (29kN) thrust to the English Electric Canberra B2, the B6, Hawker Hunter and Supermarine Swift.
Uprated versions were used in the de Havilland Comet C2, and C3, the Vickers Valiant and the Hawker Hunter F6. An Avon-powered de Havilland Comet 4 flew the first scheduled transatlantic jet service in 1958.
The most powerful version producing nearly double the power if the initial examples (12,690 lbf (56,450 N) and 16,360lbf (72,770 N) in afterburner) was used in later versions of the English Electric Lightning.
Other aircraft to use the Avon included the de Havilland Sea Vixen and Fairey Delta, the Saab Lansen, and the SAAB Draken.
The Avon continued production, mostly for the use in the Sud Aviation Caravelle and English Electric (BAC) Lightning, until 1974, by which time over 11,000 had been built.